According to the ASPCA, there are over 7.6 million homeless animals just in the US. Every year, 2.7 million of those animals are euthanized.
Animals can be euthanized for a number of reasons including overcrowding in the shelter, injuries too severe to recover from, and old age.
Adopt don’t shop.
Reason’s why adopting an adult or senior dog is the best?
1. you don’t have to potty train your new pal, and if you do, they will pick up the routine much quicker than a puppy would
2. teething isn’t an issue, your wires, shoes, and household items are safe with an older dog!
3. they are quick learners
4. what you see is what you get – their personality and size are well into development!
5. they will be a loving addition to your family
6. Kill shelters are a reality, and you may be giving a perfectly healthy and innocent animal a chance to continue living a beautiful and happy life!
Remember, adopting a dog or other companion animal is a chance to fill their lives with good memories and love. You might just end up adopting a dog that needs a little extra work, but that is the beauty of not just getting a pet to fulfill your own need for companionship, but adopting an animal into your heart and home to fulfill their needs and help them live a beautiful life.